Silicon Nitride Silicon in the field of semiconductors is used as an isolation or passivation layer for processing integrated circuits.
In addition, it is used in many processes as masking and stopping material, for example at local oxidation of Silicon Wafers. The advantage here is a different chemical behavior to caustics compared to the standard material Silicon Dioxide, thus caustics can be used which react with Silicon Dioxide but not with Silicon Nitride, or vice versa.
LPCVD Nitride (both side coating)
- Stoichiometric Nitride (Filmstress >800 MPa)
- Low Stress Nitrid (Filmstress <250 MPa)
- Super Low Stress Nitrid (Filmstress <100 MPa)
PECVD Nitride (one side coating)
- Stoichiometric Nitride (Filmstress >400 MPa)
- Low Stress Nitride (Filmstress <250 MPa)